Thursday, May 30, 2013

My take on Dan Brown's Inferno

The author who introduced me to the world of historic fiction has not deceived me once again with his latest work. Dan Brown's Inferno was no less than a medical fiction introducing me so many new terms that I am quite interested about. It was like 2 of my favourite authors - Dan Brown and Michael Crichton entertaining me together. What more a reader like me would want if I could picturize the protagonist - Robert Langdon as Tom Hanks in every page. It took me a full week to grab hold of the book {a curse to be away from home land} shamelessly from torrent. The 2 year old Steve Jobs' gem of creation(my iphone) still became more precious to me as it serves the library of many wonderful books like Inferno. The 1600 odd pages spanning across 104 chapters read in a span of 2 weeks was not "the Best" of Dan Brown's creation, but nothing less short of a wonderful masterpiece from the best selling author.

The journey from Florence to Venice and then ending in Istanbul solving a cryptic puzzle for saving the whole of humanity is Brown's usual cup of tea. I am sure the author would have researched many years to give life and a reality touch to many of the scenes in the novel. It awestruck me at the knowledge of the Harvard symbologist - Robert Langdon to come up with immediate interpretation and giving solutions to each part of the puzzle. You can never be untouched by his intelligence. In short I all over fell in love with this character of him and never wanted the novel to end. A few books are such that you want to keep them reading flipping pages after pages and Langdon's participation is one among them. I don't know if my understanding of Dan Brown's novels have increased or Dan Brown has made the novel a little easy in grasping. The words are quite simple and less cryptic to the common man. There were not endless jargons and loosened ropes left untied anywhere in the course of the book which used to be in many of his previous books. I am sorry again if it hurts anyone because that was my understanding of his works.

The issue at hand to solve - ever growing world population was quite daunting and rings a alarm in the head of every person who is concerned about the state of affairs of mankind in future. The solution that the novel has provided at the end by releasing a virus infecting the very gene of the human and making them infertile in one among the three individual is a huge thing to give even a thought about it lest to accept it. Nature has its own way to keep the survival of the fittest. There needs no man-made invention just like the bio-weapon created by Bertrad  to help nature do its job. If the earth is going to stop breathing and to accommodate it; if one third of the population has to go infertile then it is the design which has been already modulated and nothing is going to stop it or alter it. Langdon in the last pages of the novel realises that the nine stage of Dante's Inferno is not so much about the misery of hell but it is about the power of the human spirit to endure any challenge, no matter how daunting. The sooner we accept the fact the better our lives would be and more enjoyable our present would be. I felt really elated reading this novel and I am sure that many like-minded souls would share me in this belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment