Sunday, September 9, 2012

Back to back movies

Except for Harry Potter series, I haven't watched any other movies back to back. But last weekend was an exception. Saw 2 movies and will be sharing my experience and views on both of them in this post.

The first movie is Music and Lyrics - suggested by my team lead at office while talking about weekend plans. Having heard about the movie falling under the Romantic comedy genre, I had no second thoughts not to watch it. Believe me I have watched a few movies like Princess Diary, Enchanted and a few other movies of same genre n number of times that I can utter a few dialogues upfront and I am sure I would watch them again as well whenever I get a chance. A simple romance about a yester-year pop singer and his new found charming lyricist. Nothing to guess, nothing to break your brains to understand or predict what happens next in the movie. All those Mills & Boons dialogues get repeated now and then only in this those are said by famous artists - Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. A few things which I could not resist noting and admiring in the movie - Drew Barrymore placing all her things - first her bright handbag then her colourful stole and then long coat one by one on the Piano and Hugh Grant removing them from the piano one by one as soon as she keeps it. This scene alone gets repeated in the movie some 5 times or so, everytime she placing her things on the piano and he removing them except for the final time when the movie ends. Though a small thing in the movie but I loved it for some reason. Next, the scene in which Barrymore could not face the author who has deceived and stolen her writing was just perfect. It didnot end with the heroine venting out her full anger on the author. She just could not build up her courage in a day after losing all her confidence just because Grant had pursuaded to do her. I liked the simplicity in her character being maintained till the end of the movie. There happened no magic in her life which she has accepted with whole heart. Also the lyrics of the songs especially the one Barrymore and Grant work upon definetely strike a chord with we. It was so meaningful and so soleful that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought watching one movie would take me to sleep directly but I had enough time before the sleeping alarm gets activated in my brain. Browsed through a lot of movies and finally settled with "The lost Valentine". Such a beautiful story which has now become one of my new favourites thanks to my instinct to choose this amongst the lot. On a valentine's day a couple part from each other at a railway station. The young lady expecting a kid soon sends her navy husband to his duty with a heart so heavy and eyes full of tears. He promises to get back soon to her to fulfill all their dreams they had about their life, but never returns and goes missing. With the hope of seeing her Valentine some day, Caroline Thomas waits for him at the station every Feb 14th for 66 years. I could not believe my ears when I heard the number 66. She is right on time every year on Valentine's day at the station only to return back alone. I am sure even well-learnt psychologists today will not advise anyone to wait for someone this long. The movie does not portray that Caroline's life has stopped moving. She keeps on moving in her life ahead always with the hope of seeing her husband one day. The story of her missing husband reaches the local news-agent Susan who is asked to do a story about Caroline. In the course of knowing about the history of 66 years, Susan gets closer to Thomas' family - Caroline and her grandson - Lucas Thomas. It is hard for me to digest the fact that a woman waits 66 years in her life thinking that her husband would return some day because for her Missing means not dying. How deep her love could be? I don't have words to express that feeling, but I can definitely feel it. Susan with the help of her news channel contacts will finally be able to find the whereabouts of Neil Thomas. He had died in a mission to save others and has been buried in the forests of Phillipines while fighting Japanese soldiers. U.S Navy returns the remains of Thomas back to his home and give him the right dignity of burial he deserves. My best takes on the movie -

* The lovely rose garden surrounding Thomas' house and the cute name board at the entrance were just too good for a perfect dream home. Thomas sends back home a tiny wooden hand-crafted aircraft when he hears the news of his baby boy's birth.
* That aircraft hangs on the portrait mantel in Caroline's living room after all those years and the sight of that gave me goose bumps.
* The rose shrub planted by Thomas, which lasted 66 years and gave a rose at the end was just too much romantic to take but it is ok - Few things got to be accepted along with a good movie.
* There was a scene when Susan and her friend were jogging and talking about Susan's boyfriend and his proposal and Susan's decision on that. Her friend argues that the guy who proposed her know Susan very well and very rich enough plus he is so easy going and he gives all the independence she wants in life, but why does she still so unsure and denies his proposal. Susan replies - "I think, I might need more than that". She is not greedy here neither she over expects from the guy. She just misses the love and the passion in that relationship.
*The movie was not like happy ending where Neil Thomas returns from no where so that Caroline stops waiting, but it was sensible enough for a feel-good movie. Also at the end, Susan finds her right man in Lucas Thomas and the movie ends with them playing in the small rose garden.


Looking forward to watch many more good movies like this. 

4 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely movies :) I am a huge fan of Hugh Grant, so, whether it was mills and boons or any other cliched movie repeated, I loved it- :D
    And, I am definitely gonna watch the lost valentine ... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Sure you should watch.. I am happy that I am not the only one who love such movies !! Thanks for the company Sakshi

      Delete
  2. Banu, try watching Letters from Juliet. I sense some similarity between both. :-)

    ReplyDelete