Thursday, May 5, 2011

Memories to Cherish - Part 4

Its been quite a while that I recollected my wonderful memories. Today I have this small piece of memory little alive in my grey cells and I am going to make it eternal by giving it a shape. There are lots of games played nowadays by kids amongst which most of them are one or the other way related to the gadgets like playstation, videogames etc. But when I was a kid we never had great knowledge about these gaming consoles and yet we had so many options to pass our time.

The most favourite and the top one which I have played is the cooking game. We hold small sizes of cooking dishes made of handmade clay/wood/steel painted beautifully. The miniature vessels range from a dummy stove, cooking pots, Idly cooker, serving plates, spoons and almost a replica of many things in our Live Kitchen. There is two variety in this game - one is to use the edible products like sugar, salt, dal, rice which are stolen from mother's kitchen without her knowledge. And the other is when the chance of stealing fails, we opt to go for the easily available sand and clay :). Especially when it is more planned and played by experts like my cousins in my maternal granny's home, we used to play with the edible stuff and I remember once we prepared channa dal idly and it tasted so yummy. We also used to make our own clay pots/vessels by mixing right amount of water to the clay, knead it well, then give a proper shape, dry it, then reheat it. Those vessels will be prepared on the first day of summer vacation and they will last for 1 month :). There was a lot of commotion one day in the backyard and all the uncles gathered and scolded us kids like anything since we had used real fire to cook using grass and sticks and there caught a little fire in the bushes and everyone had to run away from the spot. That ended our little adventure with cooking using fire and after that everytime we used to play without fire and water. The imagination alone had driven us to play the game for hours together.

I lived as a part of a big joint family with my grandparents and my uncles till my high school. Our house was quite big and there is a small terrace in the first floor and we had walls left to us to scribble anything to our wish. Every evening back home after school and of course only after our eating/homework sessions{mom is strict} we used to come to this terrace and simulate the school environment at home. The simulation has a variation - we become the teachers and the students of our class are just plain imaginative souls wandering here and there. There are so many walls and each of us have our own green boards{the walls were painted green}. We decorate our board with colour chalks and start teaching. Our parents never say no to this game alone, coz in due course of this game we would have revised our lessons twice :). When there were lots of cousins at home, the younger ones become the students and we tend to get prizes/school trips/gifts from our elder cousins when we excel ourselves in the classroom. My maternal granny's home atmosphere is different. They have painted one wall in their home - black and it is dedicated till today for the teaching game for all the kids to come :) to use as a black board. Next time I visit my granny's home I should take a snap of this corridor, where I had spent hours together. I remember we had our separate note books, homeworks for this home-school sessions. What a wonderful time they were. The images of them are still etched and I am sure it will be in all my cousin's memories. Thank you so much guys for giving me a great childhood.

And the next in the list is the one which I hate to play I got to be a part of it since I will not be left alone by my playmates. It is the wedding game and we kids used to decorate ourselves and recreate the wedding scenario using bedsheets and shawls. I will be the scape goat most of the times and be made the bride and my groom used to be a little younger to me. What a great embarassment that day for both of us to play that game. I remember, we both used to cry and try to run away somewhere whenever this game is played. It brings me a sweet smile today recollecting all of them now. I didnot have great interest in this game, So I had purposefully deleted many memories of it long back from my brain. :p

There are lots other indoor games which I used to play with my aunt,uncles and cousins and to name a few of them - we used to play with a rectangular board(pallanguzhi) with cowry shells, Board games - snake and ladder, 8X8 Ashtapada, Bank, Monopoly. We also used to play so many word games which will enrich our vocabulary and refresh our memory. Antakshari and Dumb Sharats were inevitable in family gatherings and during relaxed weekends.

How could I forget the ever entertaining card games which used to extend for hours together round after round. I have played cards with so many so many relations including my granny who used to be our favourite partner and she used to play it with so much concentration that she ends up winning many times. Today she has become so old, that sometimes she forgets the tricks of the game. The varieties of card games improved with age and till date long distance journeys never get complete without them. On top of it, mom also used to give me company in card games sometimes when I am alone at home. Yes we both play cards - just the 2 of us. But I was never been allowed to be a part of the game when my uncles used to play with real money. Even today if I call my uncles for a game with money, I am sure they will say that I have not grown up to do so. :))). The cheatings done while playing and the fights following it -- Gosh they were just awesome and I would love to go back once to that day and play it again.

Apart from these, at school, just like any other kid - I had also played hide&seek, running and catching, colour catch, koko and other varieties of running and falling over one another in the process of catching. I was never a sports girl and I knew nothing of serious sports and I am just lucky enough not to arrive last in the running race. So my pastime never included any physical work like playing cricket,football etc but mostly the ones which I said above. Also even as a kid, I could never stay in the sun and I have avoided many times playing with my sister who is exactly the opposite of me and love to enjoy the sun's rays on her skin. Rest apart, these memories today took me to those days of unlimited entertainment and pure fun. I am sure each and every one of you would have your own stories like this to share. Don't let those thoughts get fade away - you will definitely have a great time to share them with your kids and grandkids. Let me also know which one favoured your list.

1 comment:

  1. ya v studied in that kind of school which gi ve least importance to sports.....i too cherished my days in my kid when reading this blog....
    During tsunami days v all put up in hostel,v used to spend 10 days with cards without remembering food n water....the whole day i played i never win cos my friends find my cards through my specs which glares thru tubelight....:-)nice post:-)

    ReplyDelete