Thursday, October 7, 2010

Enthiran - from my eyes


I sincerely advice the die-hard core fans of Rajnikanth not to proceed reading this post further. The post also has some spoilers – Read it on your own interests.

The last time when I watched Rajni’s movie was such a great experience. The movie was Sivaji and it was my first ever experience of watching a movie on the first day first show. I accompanied my cousin and I guess I was the only girl in the whole movie theater. But watching Enthiran was not that easy for me. I tried booking tickets for the Friday evening show but to our great dismay, I could get only 4 days later. The day was Tuesday – not a weekend to enjoy the movie first of all. I was little tired when I stepped out of office. Thanks to the day’s traffic, I managed to reach the multiplex well ahead in time. The expectations from my end to any regional movie are really high after watching some really good movies in English. But I don’t want to miss the fun in hearing to my native language comedy and dialogues written by late Mr.Sujatha. On top of it, who doesn’t wish to see Shankar’s movie.

Coming to the movie, did I enjoy it? --- Yes I did like the first half of the movie. About the second half, I got little tired of watching machines ruling the world. If a man controls a machine no matter, how sophisticated the machine is – I can watch it. But if one and only a machine is acting on its own – please spare me. I cannot watch it and I have avoided watching so many English movies because of this reason. I cannot think that it is the man who made that machine when I watch the machine doing all sorts of magic. A human touch is what I wish the movie should have.

I accept that the visuals were great and the animations and the new technology implementations were brilliant. And as per the story I can also admit that the movie is totally a science fiction and I am not ignorant to ask questions like -- Why this? How could it be? What is the logic? -- for any incidents happening in the movie. But I cannot stop myself to ask why does a Robot which reads Rig Veda, all the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, the rights & wrongs of the world cannot think twice before starting to love Sana, the fiancee of its own creator. Thanks to the writer who justifies this act of Robot in the scene when Chitti tries to kiss Sana and he says that it is not betrayal but only love and instead it asks Dr.Vaseegaran to do a sacrifice for his research. After all the same old saying – All is fair is love and War is given as the answer.

Again, no one else can answer to the not so simple question of – “Does God exist?” As simple as how it is answered in this movie. It was really wonderful to hear to such a rational reply. I should also admit that the pre-intermission sequence when Robot doing a complicated pregnancy got me goosebumps. But the non-stop fights and the hundreds of same face were quite tiring and I can’t resist myself to look at my fastrack more than necessary. It is just a one-time watch to know what the hype is all about and nothing more than that. I wish to watch more movies like Inception in which I am bound to use my brain and not like Enthiran for which I can simply leave my logic bound mind behind at home. It is true that I hooted and howled just like any other Rajni fan for the opening sequence but it is also truer that the movie did not impress me as much as I wished it for.

14 comments:

  1. It seems there is so much happening aout this movie.. all are writing on it I guess i have to watch the hindi version of it but I am abit wary cause I have seen a english movie exactly on the same idea.. bicentinnal man i dont want this to be a copy of that I will really be angry then cause i am a fan of rajnikanth..

    Bikram's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is not worth to read...ha ha ha. I a m not a die hard Rajni fan, but a movie buff....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bp..

    Interesting blog, but you should know that this is a MOVIE!!!!.. Many of us forget that movies are for entertainment and not to be taken very seriously unless it is a documentary/super serious movie which is trying to say some karuthu to this world. If everything had a human touch to it then where is the fantasy?.. where is the power of imagination?.. If everything had to be a figment of reality we may as well sit at home and watch megaserials..:) I find it very amusing when people react after a movie. As far as I see Movies are for entertainment. Go to the theater, watch a movie without using our brains, get entertained by seeing something different from our mundane lives and come back with a mind clear of disappointment or overexcitement. recall the interesting bits in the movie and ensoi.. This was just my view which I wished to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie. And, I don't think I would either. Too much of drama for my taste. But a good review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @BikramJi --- U r going to watch it in Hindi huh? I hope u dont get angry. Also the comedy written for Tamil will definitely not be in sync with Hindi language. Do post your views for sure after watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ananth... Thanks for dropping by my blog, though my writing was not worth your time to read it. You have better movies to buff about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @White Rider ---- I did enjoy the first half of the movie thought it also had some fantasy hidden in it. Ya I accept movies are for entertainment but Enthiran was not entertaining to me completely the 3 hours. I enjoy watching movies like HP which are pure fantasy with zero bit of reality in it. I dont expect any karuthu from such kind of movies. I wish the fantasy presented to us in such a way that we forget we live in reality.

    Btw thanks for your time to comment on my post and reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Sakshi.... Yup taste differs... thanks dear for ur kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Movie name itself is Robot. Please check the title before u check into the theatre. They have clearly given the title with caption 1 Terabyte blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. //watch a movie without using our brains//

    What u said is right here...we shouldn't use our brains.. Am not a fan for rajni or anyone as i said in my review.. But the thing is clear.. If we take out rajni no one is going to talk about r hype the movie...But when shankar say's this is his dream project..its really hilarious..if it is the best movie from india as media says, what the world will think as they have come across 'inception'.They r going to make really fun about us.It will take more than 100 years to make movie like inception in india.Thank you for ur comment in my blog.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. //I wish to watch more movies like Inception in which I am bound to use my brain and not like Enthiran //

    If everyone takes a decision like u... our society will become more intellectual....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were right. This being a sci fi movie and they asking us to switch off our logic thinking is pathetic.
    Somehow the clever marketing and the rajini magic has covered all the flaws up so far

    ReplyDelete
  13. RNS, Thanks for your comments. Yes we should hide such movies from the world Media to avoid being looked down upon. These people in power will never allow the society to become intellectual. Hopefully, they should not in future ban us from viewing the foreign movies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arvind -- Exactly the Rajni mania and too much of publicity and endless amount of money is doing all the magic here.

    ReplyDelete