Monday, June 28, 2010

Ravanan -- Not worth the hype

In midst of so much hard feelings at heart and in spite of a heavy downpour, I watched Ravanan - the much hyped and the latest tamil flick directed by many movie-goers' favourite Mani Ratnam (Mani sir from now on). I had booked the ticket 3 days back for the opening day's evening show. Planned to go with mom but unfortunately she had to stay back and I took my uncle instead who happened to be in Hyderabad for a totally different reason. Coming to the movie, by this time many of the net-surfers would have read about the movie. A friend of mine has even downloaded the torrent of the movie (my deepest sympathies to Mani sir if he gets to know of this.) The whole movie is a feast only to the eyes and not to the brain. Based on the plot of the ancient Indian epic - Ramayana, the movie starts with the kidnapping of Ragini(Aishwarya Rai Bachchan), wife of Dev(PrithviRaj) by Veera aka Raavanan(Vikram). Seeing her courage, Veera fails to kill her in 14 hours rather end falling in love with her before the 14 days forest-arrest. The story line is not so attractive and it is very clear what happens next. Also the dialogues by pathetic Hasini makes me wonder whether I came for a Mani Sir's movie, coz his movie dialogues are usually soul-stirring. A village based desi-story never impresses me no matter if the story is good and no matter if it is directed by Mani Sir.

I liked a few scenes in the movie and they are in this order:
1. Ragini jumping in the athirampalli falls ( I have been there to that waterfalls place :))
2. Ragini's prayer to Lord Vishnu ( I love that form of lord vishnu - the one in which he lays down on his palm)
3. Ragini's costumes(only the salwars she wears in the movie were just amazing)
4. The pre-climax bridge duel(something new I have seen in the recent times)
5. The climate and the weather shown in the climax and in the entire movie. (The rain and the chillness always prevailing in the forest land was so nice)

I wished that Ragini could have jumped along with Veera to show her love on him and to prove that Dev does not deserve her. But nothing sort of that happened in the movie. Thanks to Mani sir that he did not show that Dev & Ragini joined at the end and lived happily. Lord Ram never tried or persuaded Sita to stay with him and never will Dev get Ragini after using her as a bait.

I had booked for the Hindi version of the movie in IMAX screen 2 days later and had to watch that also in shivering cold. I direly wanted to get rid of that Suhasini's dialogues and hence went for the Hindi version too. Comparing both the versions of the movie, Vikram's acting was so nice than that of Abhishek, who is just staring in the film rather than showing out emotions. Vikram as Dev in Hindi did his part quite well. About Ragini --- she danced well and her courage was too much to jump in that falls :) A chemistry lacked between her and Dev(Prithviraj), good they both had just a song together. Kudos to Santhosh Sivan, the cinematographer who made me sit in the movie hall twice for the film and the direction was good - the way Mani Sir said the story to us although there was not much to say. And how can I not mention about the maestro genius who enthralled us once again with his art of expressing everything in superb music. ARR's bgm was too too good to be put in words and I am not the one to review anything about him. Totally I was impressed and the Behene De will be in my playlist forever :)

1 comment:

  1. Since I got mixed reviews about Raavan, I bought the DVD and watched it. I go with you, it's not worth the hype except for ARR's background music!

    ReplyDelete