Wednesday, March 10, 2010

விண்ணைத் தாண்டி வருவாயா [ Will you cross the skies for me?]


This is the first time in my blog that I am writing about a tamil/telugu movie I saw recently. The post has spoilers about the movie. So readers plz continue at your own will. I have been waiting to watch this much-hyped movie since very long time and the wait did not go fruitless. After hearing to the story scene by scene from my mom, I happened to watch the movie only in my computer. [ :( the movie didnot release in Tamil in Hyderabad and I have the least intention of watching the same in Telugu].

Karthik{can someone plz tell me the magic in this name}[Simbu], an engineering graduate who is interested more in movies and aspires to become a film - maker. Jessi[Trisha], born Malayali, a MCA graduate, software engineer by profession, elder than Karthik, confused at heart just crosses by Karthik. That moment was enough for the guy to fall in love with her. Is it really really true that a guy can fall in love in a second?????? Karthik and his family are the new tenants in Jessi's home. He proposes to her saying the usual Gautam Menon's dialogues "I am crazy about you blah blah blah" very soon on a day when they were casually talking. The much surprised rather than excited Jessi starts the relationship with a big NO. Her words are always oxymorons. How can she start a relationship with a NO! If it is a NO, dont u think its an end. No, its not an end but the start. She likes Karthik but she doesnot want him to love her. She allows him to come near her even to the verge of having a smooch, but then she says its all wrong. She wants Karthik to be a friend and be with her always, but not marry him for the fear of her father. She is not given the right to decide in her life, whom to marry, but she has the courage to walk down the altar on the day of her marriage, saying she is not yet ready to tie the knot. After this, Jessie comes out for a date with Karthik to a coffeeshop coz she felt so doing like that but she is not ready to confront her dad supporting his love. Gautam has not taken the least effort to justify Jessie's character. When Karthik points out Jessie's faults of why is she behaving like that -- neither loving him nor going away from him, she just walks away from him with no explanation. By ignoring him and walking away from him without giving any explanations, she expresses her inability and weakness. She is not ready to take a chance in her life, since she clearly know that its not going to happen. Then why the hell did she tell him that she too like him? Its true that she like him, but no guts to express her feelings and stand by her words. So Jessie in the first place should never have fallen in love. Is it?? Even after saying initially YES to Karthik's love, Jessie finally break up with him and move away from him. Leave out the skies, she is not even ready to cross her parents to come for him. விண்ணைத் தாண்டி அவள் வரவில்லை.


Of all the women in the world, why did Karthik loves Jessie? Of all the happy ending love stories, why did I like this sad climaxed movie? I dont know to put in words the exact reason, why I liked this movie. May be because, I have seen myself in Jessie's words and in her life many a times in the movie. Also, I can relate the movie to so many real life stories known to me. Its so real that today's women want to fell in love, but could not keep up to it for so many reasons. I know guys out there would curse Jessie for breaking Karthik's heart and curse me also for backing up Jessie's acts and liking this heart broken love story. There was an instance when Jessie ask Karthik --- "why did u come to my life? If not you, I would never have had this troubles". Yes, if not Karthik, Jessie's life would have been smooth. Is it so?

Love & Romance cannot be shown more poetically than this romantic director - Gautam Vasudev Menon, and that too with Rahman's melody, any one can enjoy the sequence of shots and songs. I would say that Trisha and Simbu had done 80% justice to the characters. But I am bound to say this, that the dialogue delivery by Karthik is pathetic. I feel the same expression in his words for all the emotions. Chinmayee's voice is fresh, superb and soft but for Trisha, it didn't suit that well. I am used to Trisha's old voice. In the end, altogether I am happy to know that Tamil people{plz include me also} enjoyed the sad climax rather than being so dramatic as in the land I am staying.

13 comments:

  1. Yeah true. kathalukkaga kalayanathaye niruthura alavukku thairiyam iruntha jessie ku en karthik goa la irukkum pothu avana vittu pirinjirukka mudiayala though it is not so long. Also telling this as a reason when Karthik and Jessie finally have the conversation to forget everything and leave her alone. She like the pain being given by the love but she dont want karthik. As you said neither loving him nor going away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinnaithaandi varuvaya is the feeling by simbu aval vanthala varavillaya enbathu director oda climax... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like the movie. But I liked this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey good one :)Am also going to watch the movie this weekend.. Have heard lots abt it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is Goutham Menon's Jessie?
    Tanx to her...........

    ReplyDelete
  7. In spite of all the flaws and sad ending, somehow I still like this movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After watching movie the first day first show (in fact the first show in tamil nadu) I felt disappointed... but my roomie took me second tiem to the movie by force. I liked it. I dont know why. and after watching it for the third time I wanted to watch this movie again...Don't know why.. May be next week I'll Go :-)))))
    and btw.. Nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes.... vinnayum ennayum thaandi vanthaal.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many a time life is very harsh... for some its all the time.... being realistic in movies is good...but the tamil movie makers put an extra effort to make their movies look real... I wouldn't want to watch something which tells me the same lesson that life is tough...kaadalkondeein, 7/g and another movie with bharath as te hero I can't recollect more... wat I advise to these guys is to take it easy... I know every person reacts differently so i am not making a general point here....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post..
    I too enjoyed this movie..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Banu, good post dear!!!You are not lazy this time.. :-) It is good to know that we both share the same views about the movie. I enjoyed every scene of it. And yes, Gals are full of confusions especially with Love.

    @ Anonymous - I guess the movie name you are looking for is "Azhagai Irukkirai Bayamai Irukkirathu".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this the movie with all those mallu songs..
    "aromale" etc etc.
    but the name seem to be long..(in the conclusion that the blog post title is the name of the movie]

    ReplyDelete